Thursday 21 June 2012

Grilled Romaine Salad

Granted, I'm a newbie in the world of vegetables. But I had never, ever heard of grilling a salad before. So I had to give it a try. I must say, it's pretty good. The fire-kissed veggies have a whole different flavor. So much so, that no salad dressing is needed—just light olive oil, parmesan, salt and pepper. This is one of two recipes I'll be sharing from Grillgrrrl.com, which has quickly become one of my favorite sites for healthy grilling tips.

Ingredients:
  • Romaine hearts
  • Mini peppers
  • Scallions
  • Cucumbers (sliced lengthwise)
  • Cherry tomatoes (skewered)
  • Olive oil
  • Fresh grated parmesan cheese
  • Salt and pepper
Directions

I used my new grill basket for the veggies. If you don't own one, you should. It prevents the veggies from falling through the grates and it makes turning them MUCH easier. It's worth the small investment.

Simply grill until a nice char mark forms on the veggies. When finished, slice the veggies into small pieces. Then add olive oil, parmesan, salt and pepper to taste. Just remember, this is where the calories come in, so be careful. And really, I didn't find that much was needed at all. The wonderful taste of the grilled vegetables stands on its own quite nicely. Enjoy.

Not my finest photography, but you get the idea. Next time I make this dish I'll add some photos of the process.



Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment